2. Asura-lingas are those installed by the class of the wicked titans (known as asuras) but were pious and zealous devotees of Shiva (like Ravana);
3. Arsha-lingas were installed and worshipped by sages of yore (like Agastya).
4. Purana-lingas are those which have been celebrated as installed at the very distinct past by mythical personages.
5. Manusha-lingas are those that have been caused to be made by human patrons (rulers, chieftans, wealthy folk etc) in historical times
6. Svayambhu-lingas are the forms which Shiva assumed to manifest himself.